For the last few months, I haven’t been able to use MSN Messenger with Adium. I’d log in, but it would just hang endlessly. Searching the bug reports was frustrating, and didn’t provide any insights. Today I found this obscure post which gives the solution. Apparently M$N changed the default connection settings without Adium making the change on their end to your account automatically. To resolve this, open the Preferences panel and Edit the account in question. Choose the Options tab (I didn’t even know this existed) and set Login Server to
messenger.live.com, Port to
80 and turn on (check) the Connect via HTTP box. Once you turn back on your account, everything should be working fine.